Tuesday, February 05, 2008

This week

As a Pastor at times I get to hear people whine about life ... and usually its not as interesting to hear it as the whiner thinks. But for the last two sundays I have been glad to hear a guy whine that he gave up tickets to Ozzy Osbourne in Halifax. And I keep telling him his mother and wife are really glad he gave them up.
Maybe I'll lend him the copy of the stryper concert dvd I picked up this week when I was shopping with out my wife. Or I'll watch it and see how my pre-teens re-act to Stryper and try to tell them how it's superior to what they hear now.

Another Pastors story! Two sundays ago I watched as my other music leader lead the service with singing. While leading it he used 'overheads' and one was the hymn COME, THOU FONT OF EVERY BLESSING, a great hymn , but when he made the over head he used a Baptist Hymnal instead of our Wesleyan Hymnal ( the one we use) . This is not an issue with me,
In fact there isn't much of a difference till the last verse, and the gap opens wide between positions. And as I'm singing and watching our people in worship, I noticed some folks frantically getting their hymn books out and turning to the right page and singing from our hymn book instead of the over head. Thankfully no new people were sitting by them.
But would they have been contaminatted by singing the words ?
Words from a free will Baptist Hymn Book
"O to grace how great a debt Daily I'm constrained to be! Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee. Prone to wander, Lord I feel it. Prone to Leave The God I love; Here's my heart, o take and seal it; seal it for thy courts above."

Here are our words
" O to grace how great a debt -or daily I'm constrained to be! Let that grace, now like a fetter, Bind my yielded heart to thee. Let me know Thee in Thy fullness; Guide me by thy mighy hand Till, transformed, in Thine own image, Im Thy presence I shall stand."

I wonder what will be the heavenly version will be we sing ?

Thats it for Pastor story's .

This week I'm reading No Holiness No Heaven by Richard Alderson.

Later

No comments: