Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A trip back home



A trip back home for me takes a little over an hour from my present dwelling place. It's one I don't take often. But there are exceptions like the one that took me there again, the church I grew up in from the age of 8 till 21 had a 50th Year Anniversary Weekend.
So with my wife and kids off we went , its interesting how roads that leave back home are so full of memories , like the one I shared with my kids about the guy in the sign for Shelburne who most the time had his legs removed by some pranksters.

Then there is the restaurant that I frequented and grew to appreciate battered deep fried mushrooms in :)

Then there is the church!

Taking my kids in the church I showed them where we got married in the basement. And some of the little things that their grandfather did in the building that soon no one will know about.

Then there was seeing the people who I had not seen in 20 some years....
And introducing my Kids to them :)

Its funny that 31 years ago when we went to church there in Sandy Point, they still have the same lady playing the piano just like old times.

The service was good and like most evening services had it not been for the visitors, the crowd would off been small...

But There was something in the night I wasn't prepared for , as we sang the last hymn a list via the power point projector listed all who had gone on before. Most I knew , some were even a surprise to me, then I read my grand mothers name, and tears of emotion ran ( freaking out my kids) its been a while since she passed away, more wouldn't know here now than do, including my kids.
She never Got to see the new building (as it is today) and didn't live in that area long yet that was where she went to church and stood to testify at every chance.
But what she has seen is that Land of Beauty, we call Heaven and that beats church renovations any day.

The drive home seemed forever that night, to where we now call home.
It was historic,emotional, and a good walk down memory lane.

Would I go back to live , no ! The town is really turning into a ghost town.
And on the out skirts stands the Sandy Point Church , where for me I got grounded, and had a great honor to hear my nan (B) testify.

I wouldn't go back but because of it I am where I am today !

Later

No comments: