Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The sales clerk snickered

This is now March !

And to celebrate the end of February I went to our local Christian book store and ordered some (4) books and one of them made the owner hesitate and snicker it was a book by John MacArthur titled "Fools Gold".
The owner as he was writing down my information made the comment that this book was against a lot of the current trends.
I assured him I knew this and wanted the book.

He with out knowing it sent a very clear message to me of today's church culture, that they treat trends or fads or new teachings "like the purpose driven... Stuff" as the gospel and any one who bucks the trend is bucking " this new gospel" and that's bad...

So where do pastors and Christians go for material that's has doctrinal truth and makes you think besides the internet ?

Well one place I go every Tuesday is Frencys where soft covered books cost a dollar and hard cover books $ 1.60
and this weeks big find was Called to be Holy by Oswalt (new)
Obsessions of an extraordinary executive (new)
Bringing out the best in people (new).
Now I don't always get such finds but the weeks I do I feel pretty proud.

I think its a sad day in order to find books on holiness they have to come from a used clothing store instead of a Christian book store....
Where the owner of the book store attends a Wesleyan church.
That brings me back to my blog on attendance but not adherence.
and This says something on the place of holiness in our lives when we want heatlth over holiness or
heart warming fiction over holiness or
happiness over holiness and
how too's over holiness.

Later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point Dale. The holiness classics are hard to find -- maybe because people find it hard to live! It's easier to make excuses than to make progress.

Yet, without the fullness of the Spirit, our efforts are nothing.

Anonymous said...

Good point Dale. The holiness classics are hard to find -- maybe because people find it hard to live! It's easier to make excuses than to make progress.

Yet, without the fullness of the Spirit, our efforts are nothing.